5 Things to Expect From a 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Program
Wednesday, November 13, 2019
When our students complete the 200-hour yoga teacher training program at our yoga studio in Illinois, they all have the same feelings - exhausted, sore, challenged, but loving yoga more than ever. The 200/300/500 teacher training programs may challenge you, but they offer an amazing experience nonetheless.
Yoga teacher training programs are a big financial and time commitments. Regardless of which program you choose, you will have to go through three-to-four weeks of intense training. So we thought it would be a good idea to let you know what you can expect from our 200-hour yoga teacher training programs.
You'll Get Better and Stronger
For a lot of people, the teacher training programs offer more asana practice than they are typically used to. So it's no wonder that you may struggle at first to hold a baksana for longer and sink a little deeper with virabhadrasana.
If you choose the intensive course, which covers the entire program in just a few weeks, you may feel sore and stiff, especially if you are not consistent with asana practice before you join the program.
You can easily expect eight hours of asana practice at least four times a week and you will be responsible for your personal practice outside of the class. In simple words, expect to get exhausted both physically and mentally.
The only way you can keep up is to prepare yourself for the teacher training course by practicing asana regularly before joining it. With a positive mindset, you can easily live through training.
You Will Get Some Time Off
- You are not expected to keep on training consistently while you are in a teacher training program. Most Registered Yoga Schools such as Wild Abundant Life give its students some time off to relax and replenish their energies before taking on a new class.
But be warned, the intensive course is of such nature that even a single day off might not get your energy replenished enough. You will have to come with a mindset to work hard and achieve the certification.
You're Definitely Going to Step Out of Your Comfort Zone
- When students first join the 200-hour teacher training course, they feel out of their comfort zone. This is quite natural because the intensity at which the program is delivered requires you to be out of the comfort zone to reach new levels in yoga practice.
This is perfectly alright though. It will take about a week for you to settle in the new routine. Once you’re in, you will get used to the training and from thereon it will be easier to keep up with all that is going on.
You Will Learn A Lot More
- A lot of students that join our 200hr YTT program believe that there isn’t much to learn from the program other than perfecting their poses and learning a few new things. Out of the contrary, the program is more than just asanas.
There’s a lot of history and theory covered in the program and you will probably learn quite a few advanced poses during training. There are certain concepts and philosophies that may resonate stronger with you and then there are some in which you may struggle.
- The good news is that you are not required to memorize everything that is taught. But you will have to grasp on things that you relate to.
You May Not Be Ready to Immediately Take on Students
- Completing a 200 or 300/500 hour yoga teacher training course does not mean that you will be immediately ready to take classes with new students. But you’ll have all the right tools you’ll need to conduct a professional class starting right off when you get your certification.
You will be required to practice privately until you are comfortable with what you have learned in the class, only then you will feel confident and comfortable in teaching a class. Things will be quite different if you were already teaching students yoga and only intended to gain additional knowledge through the program.
Yoga teacher training courses are a wonderful way to advance your career in yoga practice. They are also designed in such a way to increase your knowledge of the practice so you can enjoy more of it.
Whether you are joining the program to enhance your personal practice, or to become a full-time yoga instructor, the programs are designed to get you where you need to be. Either way, you will meet new people and it will turn out to be an experience you’ll remember for the rest of your life.
Check our 2019 schedule for teacher training programs
and online yoga courses today and reserve your spot for an early bird discount.